The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) affects the way that personal information about you is collected, shared and stored.
This page details my GDPR policy.
PERSONAL INFORMATION I WILL COLLECT.
• Gender (or preferred identity).
• Date of Birth.
• Relationships and children
• Telephone/SMS number (plus permission to send SMS & leave voice message).
• Email address.
• Counselling History.
• Medical conditions relevant to counselling.
• Prescribed medication.
• Session summary.
HOW I WILL STORE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
• Paper: written notes (described below).
• Smartphone: I will store your contact information in a plain-text note app that backs up to my private Google Drive. This enables me to be able to contact you in case of an emergency, but keeps from revealing this information to other applications (i.e. not using a Contacts app).
• Email/SMS/WhatsApp: your email address and correspondence will be stored in my email account (currently GMail) by nature of you contacting me. Your telephone number may be stored in my SMS or WhatsApp app should we exchange messages this way. Electronic correspondence will also be held by the corresponding app (Gmail, Phone’s SMS, WhatsApp).
• Website: none of your personal information is stored on my website, other than to momentarily collect & send it to my Gmail account for the purposes of our initial contact.
• Contact Sheet
• Assessment Record
• Brief Session Notes
• GDPR Agreement
• Client Code (linking documents)
• Contact name & telephone
HOW I MAY PROCESS/SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
I commit to monthly supervision with another therapist/supervisor who is qualified in this process. This process is for my ethical practice and supports my way of working (rather than seeking instruction on working with you). In order to protect your privacy, my supervisor will not know you personally nor professionally. I will refer to you by your first name, and I may refer to you information verbally when it’s helpful to my professional processes.
Your name and contact details will be shared with my Therapeutic Executor. This is so that you will be contacted on the event of my death, should you still be in therapy with me.
If your health is in jeopardy (provided I have your consent) I may share your contact information with an emergency healthcare service (e.g. Mental Health Crisis Team).
If I have become aware of your intent to cause harm to another person/organisation (e.g. terrorism), the law may require that I inform an authority without seeking your permission. In such a situation, the law may require that I share your personal information without your knowledge.
DELETING YOUR DETAILS.
When we have finished working together, I will delete electronic copies of your information & correspondence within one month.
I will hold onto your written information for up to seven years past the end of our working together. This is so that I have a reference of our work in situations such as you returning to counselling in the future. Or in rarer cases should I be required to attend court. After this time has passed, I will shred the written information.
You have the following rights…
• To be informed what information I hold (i.e. this document).
• To see the information I hold about you (free of charge for the initial request).
• To rectify any inaccurate or incomplete personal information.
• To withdraw consent to me using your personal information.
• To request your personal information be erased (though I can decline whilst the information is needed for me to practice lawfully & competently).
NB: A printed copy of this statement will be given to you when we first meet for counselling. If we agree to continue working together, we will both sign the printed copy of this statement to indicate our agreement.